Friday, November 13, 2009

Christ heals the blind man of Bethsaida (Mark 8,22-26)



Healing of the blind man by Jesus speaks to me on several levels. Not the least of which is the metaphysical level; blindness often is equated with "not understanding". Whereas light has long been understood to be an "A-ha!" moment; an epiphany.

Knowing in the Biblical sense is an enlightenment, an intimate, even sexual gnosis of the beloved. When Christ heals the blind man, as he heals us, we too are brought into a clear vision of the Kingdom of God. We are made new; and this means (in so many passages) a virgin. In other words, a pure bride of Christ.

While this may or may not be instantaneous - there is an ever present progression; a 'glory to glory' : 'strength to strength' movement in the journey that is our lives. We are found in the mire of our sins, we are called to return home. It is at home where we know ourselves to be whole, accepted, loved, and able to show love. It is at home that we KNOW ourselves to be reconciled.

Many years ago, I had a spiritual director who told me that he believed that heaven would be like a continuous mulitple orgasm of pure rapture. I laughed when he told me of his belief. Now, after my own progression, I cannot dismiss his words so readily.

My blindness, and that of saint Paul who had "scales removed from his eyes" that we might see more than what lies beyond this dark veil trust in the healing, regenerative, reconciliatory, all pervasive power of Christ's power and virtue to make us whole - to lead us home and truly give us blind ones, eyes to see and ears to hear.

wayne

____________________

Re: The video above.

I am a Catholic priest of the diocese of Parramatta (Sydney), Australia. I have served in various parishes ever since, including in South America. I have studied philosophy, theology, the humanities and religious education in various institutes and universities, and my Ph.D was on Cardinal Newman's understanding of what the conscience reveals of God. At this point I serve in the parish of St Thomas Aquinas, Springwood, near Sydney.

More info at: frejtyler's Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment